Live Music Now and the Care Quality Commission are challenging care homes throughout Britain to do something musical and extraordinary to celebrate the Last Night of the Proms.
During the first week of September 2018, they are urging care homes to share a photograph or video making music together – staff, residents, musicians, anyone – just make sure you have the appropriate consent first!
You could share it via your own social media using the hashtags #LiveMusicinCare #LastNightoftheProms and #CareAware or send it by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Download a complete campaign media pack here.
If you’d like to join in, but don’t know how to start, there is lots of advice available below, with links to sites with further information – it doesn’t need to be difficult or expensive. Later life should be a time of creativity and discovery. Music and the arts should be available to everyone, regardless of whether they are living independently or in residential care.
Tips for making music in care homes
- Many care homes take opportunities to make music informally throughout the day – such as care workers singing while dressing residents, songs before lunch, or CDs playing in corners where residents gather.
- Musicians might come to your care home to perform, enabling residents to join in with the performances.
- Musicians or volunteers get residents making music themselves. Some musicians might bring “buddies” – volunteers singers who sit among the residents sensitively helping them sing and get the most out of the activity.
- Music therapists work intensively and clinically, often one-to-one with residents.
- Karoake machines, sing-a-long CDs and similar are useful ways to enable non-musicians to lead the live experience.
Use a combination of these approaches, using music and singing throughout the day to help residents, motivate and cheer staff – making your home a much nicer place to be!
There is a whole website of practical resources and tutorial videos, to inspire you to make music in your care home. Visit www.achoirineverycarehome.co.uk for more!