Visitors to the site can:
- See what books their friends are reading.
- Track the books they are reading, have read, and want to read.
- Check out personalized book recommendations.
- Find out if a book is a good fit from the community’s reviews section.
In a recent blog post Penguin Random House recommended that all their authors should get registered on the site and join the Goodreads Author Program (which is free!).
Any author, anywhere in the world, can join the Goodreads Author Program for free. All you need is an Internet connection and a published book (or a soon-to-be published book) that can be found in their database. The Goodreads Author Program allows published authors to claim their profile page to promote their book and engage with readers. Once verified, your author profile will include the official Goodreads Author badge, which you can use to tell your fans to follow you on Goodreads.
Once Registered You Can..
- Ensure the information held about you is up to date and accurate!
- Run a giveaway, connect your blog, advertise your books and create a buzz!
- Take questions from readers using Ask The Author, write reviews, and show off your taste in literature. Readers love to learn what books their favorite authors are reading!
Of all the features on Goodreads, Ask the Author is one of the best. Readers can engage with authors in an unfiltered way and Goodreads shares questions in its newsfeed once they are answered. Encouraging you to answer and preventing any questions you would not want seen being shared – you just don’t answer them 🙂 You can even ask yourself questions and provide the answers to get them into the newsfeed – perhaps reflecting questions that have come up in other, face to face, environments.
Penguin Random House also rate the section of the site that enables you to see what your friends are reading, track books you want to read, find reviews and ratings of your favorites “For a reader, this can be a critical resource for discovering new titles, and for an author, this can be the perfect place to let your fans and soon-to-be fans get to know more about you.”
Rate other people’s books in a meaningful and engaging way and readers of those reviews may well click through to find out more about you and your books.
Once You Are on Goodreads…
- Keep your profile up to date. Make sure the right genres are showing in your profile, that pictures are current etc…
- Engage with readers by answering their questions.
- Review other people’s books and you may find new readers, who like your writing style, click through to find out more about you.
- Join in, or set, a Reading Challenge. These are really popular on Goodreads, you can share your progress and cheer on others – each interaction counts as one of your weekly posts and will show up in follower’s feed.
- Ask people to follow you: If you have a stronger following on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, share your Goodreads profile with those fans and ask them to give you a follow.
- Post frequently – posts don’t need to be long, some can be worthy, other light, but aim to post three to five times a week.
For a full introduction to how to claim your profile on Goodreads, click here